In November 2014, the Membership agreed a new core purpose together with vision and values statements.
The new core purpose is:
“Leading people into a growing relationship with Jesus Christ”
This simple statement sums up the primary mission that we are called to fulfil. Our desire is to introduce others to Jesus and to help one another grow into maturity – to learn more, check out Why Jesus?
Our church text for 2018 is from Hebrews 11:6
“It is impossible to please God without faith, since anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.”
The core purpose is expressed in four vision statements:
- To make known the glory and renown of God in all we do
- To share passionately the message of God’s love and grace with all
- To teach, train and equip every believer to have a mature, committed and deepening relationship with God
- To serve and support faithful the spiritual and practical needs of our local, national and international communities
Seven value statements follow:
- The Bible is God’s living word and is our ultimate authority
- God desires an intimate relationship with every person through Christ and this relationship is nurtured through collective and personal worship, prayer, Bible study and meditation
- Loving relationships which are caring, accepting, encouraging and inclusive should permeate every aspect of our church life and communities
- As Christians we are all responsible for fulfilling the Great Commission; that is the instruction from Jesus to his disciples to spread his teachings to all the nations of the world
- Creating an environment where people can find true and honest fellowship
- Being a unified people that allows each individual to discover, develop and use their practical gifts to build up the body of Christ
- Encouraging and empowering every person to do their best for the glory and honour of God
Our call to action is:
- Share the Message to Reach the Lost
- Strengthen the Believers
- Serve all of our Communities
We seek to reflect the values in the ministries of the church and as we look to the future, we seek to ensure that HBC continues to reach out to our communities – locally, nationally and internationally.
We take seriously our responsibility as Christians to care for and love our neighbours. We seek to help others both practically and spiritually.
As Baptists, we uphold the Baptist Union Declaration of Principles, follows:
- That our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, God manifest in the flesh, is the sole and absolute authority in all matters pertaining to faith and practice, as revealed in the Holy Scriptures, and that each Church has liberty, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, to interpret and administer His laws.
- That Christian Baptism is the immersion in water into the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost, of those who have professed repentance towards God and faith in our Lord Jesus Christ who ‘died for our sins according to the Scriptures; was buried, and rose again the third day’.
- That it is the duty of every disciple to bear personal witness to the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and to take part in the evangelisation of the world.
To find out more about Hertford Baptist Church, we encourage you to explore the website further – and come visit us if you haven’t – further information can also be found in our Church Constitution and our Annual Report and Accounts. You can also read a little bit of history on our war heroes: Who Do You Think They Were.