Sunday 10th December 2017
This is the online version of the news sheet handed out in church on Sunday. For privacy reasons some addresses, phone numbers and email addresses have been omitted – for more details please contact the church office.
10.15 am – Nativity service led by our young people; Andrew Clark speaking.
“Everyone is Singing!”
As God moves in history and gives his Son to us, people burst into song. But it is not just earth that is singing…today we hear of the chorus of angels who appeared to rugged shepherds to proclaim Good News. We ask if we, ourselves, need to hear some of that Good News too.
11.30 – 12.00 – Meeting Point for refreshments in the hall.
6.30 pm – Dave Sunman leading and preaching.
“Dedication and Devotion”
Nehemiah 12:27 – 13:31
Nehemiah had achieved great things in his time in Jerusalem. It would have been tempting to think that the job was done and he could return home. The wall was built, the city was populated and life restored. However there were many factors creeping into their public and private life that could cause them to quickly depart from the call of God. Nehemiah took a firm stance to oppose these forces and to leave the people dedicated and devoted to their God of holiness. How do we respond to that same call to holiness?
Prayer Ministry is available after the services. Members of the team wearing blue “prayer ministry” lanyards will be available in the Prayer Ministry corner and within the congregation. You can also send prayer requests to the Prayer Ministry Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Alone on Christmas Day Christmas lunch and entertainment will be provided at Sele School again this year for those who would otherwise be alone on Christmas Day. Help is needed in various ways (see board in foyer). If you would like to be involved, please contact Janet Bird.
- Thank you to Betty Ward for organising the enjoyable Musical Coffee Morning last Saturday; also to those who took part or helped in any way. £460.36 was raised for MAF (Mission Aviation Fellowship).
- Copies of Rebecca Penrose’s latest Prayer Letter are in the foyer – please help yourself.
- If you would like to share Christmas greetings with the fellowship, you are welcome to add your card to the board in the church hall.
- The flower list for next year is now on the foyer board.
If you would like to provide flowers one Sunday please put your name by your chosen date(s). If you would like someone else to arrange flowers on your behalf, this can be done (we would welcome offers from creative people in the fellowship who would like to join the team – please contact the church office).
- First aid training will be taking place in the New Year. If you would like to attend a course (adult or paediatric) please contact Andy Collins in the church office.
- We are looking for people to help with:
Stewarding on Sunday mornings (on a rota basis)
Communion preparation on Sunday mornings (two-monthly)
Please contact the church office for information.
- Please note: There is no Men’s Prayer Breakfast this month and no evening service here on Christmas Eve.
Three of our neighbours in the commercial units at the end of the street have kindly said we can use their parking facilities as follows:
- Finglow: Weekday evenings after 8.00 pm & weekends
- Tiny Toes: Sundays and weekday evenings
- Bookbinders Printing (former BMW premises): Sundays & weekday evenings
- Please continue to use the Sainsbury’s and public car parks if you are able.
Recordings of services and sermons
Service recordings are now available on CDs rather than cassettes. Copies of morning and evening sermons will normally be available for loan the following week. Please use the folder in the foyer to record borrowings and returns. The whole of a morning service will continue to be recorded for any who are housebound, either on a regular basis or short-term. Please contact the church office if you are interested.
Mission Focus & Family News
- The Male Voice Praise group are taking Christmas services at Calton Court on Tuesday afternoon and Beane River View on Friday afternoon.
- Puppets with Purpose are taking a service at Hoddesdon Baptist Church next Saturday.
- Re:Fresh is attending Soul Survivor Saturday Celebration in Watford next Saturday.
Mission Focus: Ken & Alison Barrett in Spain
– Christmas outreach: Moroccan tea for the North African families we know through Kofi Jaus activities; Christmas breakfast specials for men and women and Christmas Children’s Club for children next Saturday
– Reading and course preparation for Ken’s visit to Peru.
– Final stages in preparing for publication of the book about “George Borrow”.
- Christmas posting dates. If you would like to send Christmas greetings to our mission partners, some last posting dates are:
Cyprus, Thailand – 6th December
Germany – 13th December
Spain – 15th December
Week Commencing 11th December 2017:
4.30 pm – Re:Fresh
Discipleship group for young people
2.30 pm – Tuesday Fellowship Christmas Special
8.00 pm – Mission prayer meeting
Sele Farm Christmas Celebration
(at Sele Farm Community Centre – see above)
7.00 pm – Girls Night – Christmas crafts
10.15 am – Communion service led by Dave Sunman;
Paul Davies preaching
4 .30 & 6.30 pm – Carols by Candlelight services
Tea, coffee and mince pies served in the hall after both services
Sunday 10th December
All-age Christmas Celebration, 10.15 am
Friday 15th December
Sele Farm Christmas Celebration, 7.30 pm
Refreshments and children’s craft activities from 6.30
Sunday 17th December
Carol Services – 4.30 & 6.30 pm
Crib service, 3.30 pm
for families with children aged 5 and under
Christmas Celebration for all ages – 9.30 am & 10.45 am
Winter months’ prayer ministry for the elderly. If coming to church is difficult during the cold months (November to March) and you would like one of the prayer ministry team to visit you at your home to pray with you, please contact the church office.
Don’t forget you can keep an eye on upcoming events & activities throughout the year on our Calendar Page.