Sunday 13th August 2017
This is the online version of the news sheet handed out in church on Sunday. For privacy reasons some addresses, phone numbers and email addresses have been omitted – for more details please contact the church office.
10.15 am – Pete Croft leading, Dave Sunman preaching.
“Supermarket Flowers” – Exodus 7-12 (page 61) & James 1:2-8 (page 1147)
On Ed Sheeran’s Divide album, he includes a song about coping with the grief of losing a loved one. In the Passover, Egypt faced the devastation of each home losing their firstborn son. We usually look at it from the Israelite perspective and consider their freedom, but this morning we will consider the grief suffered by Egypt and the way in which Pharaoh dealt with that grief. Each one of us will face grief and suffering from time to time. How can we face up to grief well?
11.30 – 12.00 – Meeting Point in the hall for refreshments.
Instead of evening services in August, members of the fellowship are opening their homes for a time of relaxation with refreshments. This afternoon Ray Turner invites you to his home, any time between 2.00 and 6.00 pm. If it’s fine there will be a pool and water pistols so children should bring suitable attire!
Prayer Ministry is available after the services. Members of the team wearing blue “prayer ministry” lanyards will be available in the Prayer Ministry corner and within the congregation. You can also send prayer requests to the Prayer Ministry Team at email@example.com.
- Laura Turner & Jack Flowers are getting married in Leeds next weekend. If you know Laura and would like to send your greetings, Steve Turner has a few cards that need to be signed TODAY so they can be included with the others in Leeds next Saturday.
- On Sunday evening, 3rd September our service will take the form of a prayer evening when we will be praying especially for Andrew Clark as he prepares to begin his ministry here as Associate Pastor.
- The Induction service for Andrew Clark will take place at 3.00 pm on Saturday 9th September with refreshments served in the hall afterwards.
- Summer Holiday Club – Monday & Tuesday 21st/22nd August, 10.00 am – 4.00 pm, at St. Andrew’s Centre – for children in Reception to year 6. If you would like to get involved, please contact Helen Kemp. Thank you for donations of jam jars and keys – we have enough now but would like some margarine tubs with lids. Please leave in the box in the foyer by next Sunday.
- Summer clean. If you can help with this year’s summer clean on the morning or afternoon of Tuesday 22nd August, please contact the church office.
- “How great is our God” is the theme for this year’s London Women’s Convention on Saturday 14th October. Tickets cost £25 for the Daylight session and £15 for the Twilight session, with a limited number of concessionary tickets available. See poster on foyer board. Contact christianconventions.org.uk/lwc to book or for more information.
- Thinking Lunches. Monthly lunches with a half-hour talk followed by a discussion begin in September (12.30 – 1.30 pm at Marlborough Road Methodist Church, St. Albans, AL1 3XQ). On Thursday 7th September Ruth Dearnley’s theme will be “Stop the Traffic – fantasy, fiction or fact? Is it possible to put an end to the fastest growing crime in the world today?” Drinks will be provided but please bring your own sandwiches.
Three of our neighbours in the commercial units at the end of the street have kindly said we can use their parking facilities as follows:
- Finglow: Weekday evenings after 8.00 pm & weekends
- Tiny Toes: Sundays and weekday evenings
- Bookbinders Printing (former BMW premises): Sundays & weekday evenings
- Please continue to use the Sainsbury’s and public car parks if you are able.
Recordings of services and sermons
Service recordings are now available on CDs rather than cassettes. Copies of morning and evening sermons will normally be available for loan the following week. Please use the folder in the foyer to record borrowings and returns. The whole of a morning service will continue to be recorded for any who are housebound, either on a regular basis or short-term. Please contact the church office if you are interested.
Mara Rianda Charitable Trust
PRAISE GOD – the Trust has been able to put 122 children through secondary schools, many of whom have returned to their communities as teachers, camp workers etc. PLEASE PRAY for the 52 children currently in the four secondary schools in Narok.
GIVE THANKS – Enkereri School now has a guaranteed food supply for the coming year and has received donations towards the new girls’ dormitory at Mara Rianda School. PRAY that the community will be able to raise their contribution towards this.
THANK GOD for the 120+ babies delivered in the Maternity Centre over the last eighteen months. PRAY for the project to bring mains electricity to the centre and that costs can be kept to a minimum.
Week Commencing 14th August 2017:
7.45 pm – Leadership team meeting
10.30 am – 3.45 pm – “What’s in a name?” a CAMEO day for seniors Please pray for a successful day; for speaker, Dave Sunman, the rest of the team, and the guests.
9.00 – 10.00 am – “Abundant Life” – St. Leonard’s Church an opportunity to set aside an hour for meditation and prayer.
2.30 – 5.00 pm – Afternoon Tea at Easneye House Relax over afternoon tea at All Nations Christian College. £14.95 per person – pre-booking required. Call Sean Watkiss at All Nations.
10.15 am – Communion service led by Dave Sunman; John Low preaching.
11.30 – 12.00 – Meeting Point
3.00 pm – The Hub for families – Sele Farm Community Centre
3.00 – 7.00 pm – Open House at the home of Chrissy Barclay. All welcome to call in for fellowship and refreshments.
We have some part-used AA and 9-volt batteries available to anyone who can use them – box in foyer.
Winter months’ prayer ministry for the elderly. If coming to church is difficult during the cold months (November to March) and you would like one of the prayer ministry team to visit you at your home to pray with you, please contact the church office.
Don’t forget you can keep an eye on upcoming events & activities throughout the year on our Calendar Page.