Sunday 8th October 2017
This is the online version of the news sheet handed out in church on Sunday. For privacy reasons some addresses, phone numbers and email addresses have been omitted – for more details please contact the church office.
10.15 am – Dave Sunman leading, Andrew Clark preaching.
“Living Word: Jesus Christ revealed in the Bible” John 1:1-14 & John 20:30-32
As Christians, and as evangelicals in particular, we are people of the word. One of our key values at HBC is the statement that ‘the Bible is God’s living word and is our ultimate authority’. But is it? As we explore the opening of John’s gospel we consider Jesus as The Word made flesh and ask what that means for our reading of the Bible and our application of its principles in our lives of discipleship and worship.
11.30 – 12.00 – Meeting Point for refreshments – books, DVDs & CDs for sale in aid of the Training Support Fund.
4.00 – 5.30 pm – Welcome Tea (hall) for anyone who has joined the fellowship recently
4.30 pm – Re:fresh – young people’s discipleship group
6.30 pm – Andrew Clark leading, Dave Sunman preaching.
“Obstruction and opposition” Nehemiah 4
When we step out in faith to serve God and be part of the work of building his kingdom, we can expect to have obstruction and opposition. That was the experience of Nehemiah and the people of Jerusalem as they started to rebuild the city walls. It is our common experience when we step out in faith today. The way that Nehemiah faced up to his difficulties gives us pointers on how we can deal with the obstruction and opposition that we face.
Prayer Ministry is available after the services. Members of the team wearing blue “prayer ministry” lanyards will be available in the Prayer Ministry corner and within the congregation. You can also send prayer requests to the Prayer Ministry Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NEW FELLOWSHIP LIST
We are publishing a new Fellowship List at the beginning of 2018. If you would like to be included you will need to complete and sign a form with your details. Named envelopes are in the foyer for those on the current list and there are blank forms for others who would like to be included. Please return to the church office or post in the white post box in the foyer.
- Children & Youth Leaders and Helpers Get-together – Saturday 21st October, 3.00 – 6.00 pm in the church hall. All our children’s and youth leaders and helpers are invited to come and have fun and enjoy a meal together. There will also be a safeguarding update and opportunities to pray for the young people. Please let Kathy Ward know as soon as possible if you are coming.
- Thanks to Philip & Marilyn Gresswell for hosting a sixth and final Target Practice last Saturday morning at Hill Farm, which was enjoyed by all the participants and raised £280 for the Training Support Fund. Congratulations to Theo Rolph who was the overall winner.
- Children’s Activity Day at Hertford Methodist Church – Wednesday 25th October between 10.00 am and 4.00 pm. Children aged 4-11 are invited to an Activity Day. For further details or to enrol, please call Jane.
- Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this year’s BMS Harvest appeal. If you haven’t given yet, there are still some envelopes available – please return by next Sunday.
- Date for your diary! Samaritans Purse Operation Christmas Child A coffee morning will be held in the church hall on Saturday 4th November from 10.00 – 12.00. There will be stalls with a wide range of goods for sale as well as coffee, tea and delicious cakes for refreshment. All proceeds will go towards the transport costs of sending the Christmas shoeboxes to deprived children in Eastern Europe and beyond. Please keep the date free and come and support this event which aims to spread the joy of Christmas.
Apologies to groups who normally use the Church Centre for any inconvenience caused whilst refurbishment work takes place. Thank you for bearing with us.
Three of our neighbours in the commercial units at the end of the street have kindly said we can use their parking facilities as follows:
- Finglow: Weekday evenings after 8.00 pm & weekends
- Tiny Toes: Sundays and weekday evenings
- Bookbinders Printing (former BMW premises): Sundays & weekday evenings
- Please continue to use the Sainsbury’s and public car parks if you are able.
Recordings of services and sermons
Service recordings are now available on CDs rather than cassettes. Copies of morning and evening sermons will normally be available for loan the following week. Please use the folder in the foyer to record borrowings and returns. The whole of a morning service will continue to be recorded for any who are housebound, either on a regular basis or short-term. Please contact the church office if you are interested.
Mission Focus & Family News
Mission Focus & Family News
- Congratulations to Howard & Kathy Ward who celebrated their Golden Wedding Anniversary yesterday.
- Love and sympathy to Frances Connolly whose brother Charlie died recently.
- Mission Focus: Please pray for all of our Mission Partners serving the Lord around the World.
Week Commencing 9th October 2017:
2.30 pm – Tuesday Fellowship Activities
8.00 pm – Mission prayer meeting (Centre)
7.00 pm – Girls Night – jewellery making
On Saturday and Sunday there will be a prayer and information room where you can find out about all our mission partners.
Re:fresh outing to Soul Survivor Saturday Celebration Meeting at the church at 4.00 pm
6.30 pm – A meal with John & Ketani Matiza Please sign up today if you would like to come.
10.15 am – Communion service. Dave Sunman leading and preaching John & Ketani will be taking part in the service.
3.00 pm – The Hub – for families – Sele Farm Community Centre
4.00 – 5.00 pm – Re:fresh – discipleship group for young people
5.00 pm – Church at Five led by Will Long; Andy King speaking
Winter months’ prayer ministry for the elderly. If coming to church is difficult during the cold months (November to March) and you would like one of the prayer ministry team to visit you at your home to pray with you, please contact the church office.
Don’t forget you can keep an eye on upcoming events & activities throughout the year on our Calendar Page.