Sunday 18th March 2018
This is the online version of the news sheet handed out in church on Sunday. For privacy reasons some addresses, phone numbers and email addresses have been omitted – for more details please contact the church office.
10.15 am – Communion service. -John Low leading, Paul Davies preaching.
“The meaning of the exodus”
In the last of our series on “The Life of Faith” we look at how Joseph and Moses were used by God as the human mediators for salvation, and consider how we can be God’s instruments in the salvation of others.
11.30 – 12.00 – Meeting Point for refreshments in the hall.
4.30 pm – Re:fresh (discipleship group for young people).
6.30 pm – Sheila Knowles leading, Graham Powell preaching.
“The humble way of peace”
Surely this can’t be a picture of an individual Christian or a local church? Fighting, quarrelling, coveting, slandering, judging, pleasure-seeking, scheming… Well, James wrote this to brothers and sisters scattered among the nations.
The antidote to such poisonous and destructive behaviour? God gives us more grace and encourages us to humbly submit to Him. That is the only path to peace.
Deadline TODAY for material for the next magazine. Please send contributions to Christy (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Maundy Thursday, 29th March
8.00 pm – Communion service
Good Friday, 30th March
10.30 am – Open air service of witness at Bircherley Green
Hot drinks and buns served from 9.30 at the United Reformed Church
Easter Day, 1st April
10.15 am – Easter Celebration service
6.30 pm – Communion service
- A service of Believers’ Baptism is being planned for Easter Sunday. Please speak to one of the pastors to find out more.
- Prayer Room next Saturday. We would like cakes to serve to visitors during the afternoon – please sign the list in the foyer if you can help.
- The Parenting Children course – begins 25th April and runs for five weeks – Wednesday evenings, 7.30 – 9.00 pm. The course especially focuses on parenting children from 0 to 10 years. To register please phone or email the church office.
- Our 2018 Thankoffering runs until Easter Sunday and is an opportunity to thank God for his goodness to our fellowship. Please take a leaflet and consider prayerfully how you are able to support this year’s projects.
- A family in our fellowship has just moved and is in need of “larger” items of furniture. If you have items you are wanting to “move on”, please speak to Barbara Archer or contact the church office.
- Thanks to Pat Davies who organised a team to represent our church at the recent Quiz Night – £500 was raised for Christian Aid.
This Week’s Hertford & District Churches Together Lent Events
(Coffee & Cake at St. Andrews Church (Saturday 3rd March) has been postponed)
|Saturday||Prayer Room, 12.00 – 4.00 pm here at HBC – drop in for prayer and refreshments – stay as long as you wish.
Amici Cantate Concert, 7.00 pm at St. Andrew’s Church
All proceeds to Christian Aid.
Posters with details of all the events are on the foyer notice board.
Three of our neighbours in the commercial units at the end of the street have kindly said we can use their parking facilities as follows:
Finglow: Weekday evenings after 8.00 pm & weekends
Tiny Toes: Sundays and weekday evenings
Bookbinders Printing (former BMW premises): Sundays & weekday evenings
Please continue to use the Sainsbury’s and public car parks if you are able.
Recordings of services and sermons
Service recordings are now available on CDs rather than cassettes. Copies of morning and evening sermons will normally be available for loan the following week. Please use the folder in the foyer to record borrowings and returns. The whole of a morning service will continue to be recorded for any who are housebound, either on a regular basis or short-term. Please contact the church office if you are interested.
- Our love and sympathy to Les, Wendy & Derek and family on the death of Phyllis Gray on 13th March. A Thanksgiving Service will take place here on Tuesday 27th March at 2.00 pm followed by refreshments in the hall and a committal at Hoddesdon at 4.00 pm.
- The Moysey family would like to thank everyone for the cards and flowers, and especially your prayers, following John’s death. They are very aware of being upheld by many.
A Thanksgiving Service will take place here on Thursday 29th March at 2.00 pm followed by refreshments in the hall.
- Thank you to everyone who gave donations in memory of Margaret Tribe – £747 will be sent to Parkinson’s UK. Please continue to remember Neil and the family in your prayers.
Mission focus: John & Ketani Matiza in Zimbabwe
Give thanks for:
- child and widow sponsorship programmes
- “Go Challenge” conference, sports day and youth camps
- the success of Smile’s food programme.
Please pray for:
- Ketani’s ministry with Smile
- John’s ministry with both OM Zimbabwe and the United Church of
Christ in Zimbabwe
- Trust – hoping to go to university; Tatenda – sitting her ‘A’ levels
Week Commencing 19th March:
Living Light Bible reading notes for the next quarter
are in the foyer for those who have ordered them.
12.30 pm – Funeral Service for Eileen Ellis (Harwood Park)
8.00 pm – Home group leaders’ meeting (Centre)
1.15 pm – Funeral Service for Josie Burgess (Harwood Park)
2.30 pm – Tuesday Fellowship – Speaker: Steve Turner
7.45 pm – Church Members’ Meeting
Agenda papers available today from Nigel Hollingsworth
8.00 pm – Baptism & Membership course
This session will look at the vision, beliefs and values of HBC.
If you would like to find out more about becoming a member take one of the leaflets and contact the church office.
9.00 am – Youth & Children’s Oversight Group vision morning
12.00 – 4.00 pm – Lent Prayer Room
Drop in any time to spend time in prayer and join others for
fellowship and refreshments.
Our church’s Lent event to raise funds for Christian Aid.
5.00 pm – Refresh attending Soul Survivor
10.15 am – Andrew Clark leading, Dave Sunman preaching
5.00 pm – Re:fresh
6.00 pm – Church at Six led by Tim Simmonds; Andy King preaching
Refreshments served from 5.45; worship starts at about 6.15.
Winter months’ prayer ministry for the elderly. If coming to church is difficult during the cold months (November to March) and you would like one of the prayer ministry team to visit you at your home to pray with you, please contact the church office.
Don’t forget you can keep an eye on upcoming events & activities throughout the year on our Calendar Page.